Hands, 1
CPT or OPT programs may allow you to launch your startup while on a student visa.

America is great.

Because of the strength of the United States’ higher learning institutions it attracts a high number of international students a year, and the number is steadily increasing. Most students come from China and India, with the percentage of Brazilian students growing in sum each year.

According to a report by the Institute of International Education the U.S. was host to around 975,000 international students in the 2014-2015 academic year, up 10% from the previous year.

More students means more ideas, and of course more money. The Department of Commerce reports that international students added around $31 billion to the U.S. economy in the 2014-15 school year. One hundred and ninety-seven thousand of those students came to study business in the last academic year. At the University of Michigan students come from 114 different countries, with around two-thirds studying at the graduate level. Michigan Law is represented by 15 countries and full-time international MBA students at Ross make up 35% of the class total.

The F-1 Visa

F-1 visas are issued to international students if they are either attending an academic program or English Language Program at a U.S. university. There are varying requirements to hold this type of visa, but the gist is that you have to be taking a full course load and you can only stay in the U.S. 60 days after the completion of your program. The difficulty comes in the ability to work as an international student. Under this type of visa status students are not allowed to work off-campus during the academic year unless they face some sort of economic hardship and are authorized by their school to do so. However, they are allowed to work on-campus subject to certain conditions. After their first academic year F-1 students can engage in three different types of employment:

  • Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
  • Optional Practical Training (OPT) (pre-completion or post-completion)
  • Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) Optional Practical Training Extension (OPT)

Under these three categories F-1 students cannot work more than 20 hours per week, unless they are on break, then they are allowed to work up to 40 hours per week.


Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is a temporary authorization for employment. This means that the job has to be directly related to your major. CPT is a way for students to take part in internships and other modes of employment, including self-employment. CPT must be required by your degree program, or at the very least you must receive a number of credits for it. This type of employment must be done before graduation. If you accumulate more than 12 months of CPT authorization then you lose the ability to apply for OPT.


Optional Practical Training (OPT) is another type of work authorization that must be related to a F-1 student’s major. Whereas CPT is required by a student’s field of study, OPT is optional and you do not need to earn any credits in relation to it. OPT is not employer specific and may be done before or after graduation. According to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security “a student on OPT may start a business and be self-employed. The student must be able to prove that he or she has the proper business licenses and is actively engaged in a business related to the student’s degree program.” Students can generally do OPT for a period of 12 months.

The OPT STEM Extension

There is an exception under OPT for STEM students. However, the exception doesn’t apply to students who are self-employed or starting their own business.

Working vs. Owning

Poet and modern rap artist Jay-Z once crooned “I’m not a business man, I’m a business man!” And so I ask you, are you the owner or the employee? Let’s face it. No one wants to work for someone else anymore. Let’s call it the curse of Zuckerberg – and it’s as if every single millennial is affected by this curse. It’s likely why you’ve endeavored to build your own business.

There is a pretty important distinction to be made between working for and owning your own business in this discussion. If you are not part of the CPT or OPT programs then it is in fact illegal to work for an LLC, C-corp, or S-corp in the United States, even if it’s your own. I mean think about it. Why would the government see any difference between an F-1 student working for a large corporation like Coca-Cola and working for a 10 student strong start-up. Well, now that I’ve said it aloud there are an array of dissimilarities between the two, but that doesn’t change the fact that it’s still illegal. Although that doesn’t mean that an F-1 student cannot create an entity or hold shares in one. In fact, the U.S. does not require any founders in a (LLC or C-corp) company to be of American citizenship. S-corps do not allow for non-US citizen founders. So it all comes down to the type of work one does with the company and at what stage. If you are coming up with a name, filing trademarks, or forming an entity then you’ve done nothing illegal. However, once the entity is formed then things get a bit trickier. If you start to do any administrative tasks or employee like functions then you enter into a very gray area. Therefore, the best option (after entity formation) is for an F-1 student to enter into the CPT or OPT programs.

To Infinity & Beyond, the H1-B Visa

After graduation and after having been in the CPT and OPT programs students might want to consider obtaining an H1-B visa.

The H1-B visa allows employers to temporarily employ foreign professionals in specialty occupations within the United States. Specialty is defined as having a specialized knowledge in a certain sector or field. The most stringent requirement for a start-up is that one must have an employer-employee relationship with the petitioning U.S. employer.

According to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security “If you own your company you may be able to demonstrate that an employer-employee relationship exists if the control of your work is exercised by others.” This can be demonstrated by having a board of directors, preferred shareholders or investors – all of which show that your company controls the terms of your employment. Some evidence which demonstrates the distinction between your ownership interest and the right to control your employment includes:

  • Term Sheets
  • Capitalization Tables
  • Stock purchase Agreements
  • Investor rights Agreements
  • Voting Agreements, and
  • Organizational documents and operating agreements

The U.S. Government only gives 65,000 H1-B visas out each fiscal year. The first 20,000

petitions filed on behalf of beneficiaries with a U.S. master’s degree or higher are exempt from the cap. If your start-up is a nonprofit then you’re also exempt.

Good luck!